Sunday 6 May 2012

Student Cooking: A Head Start

Hello there :)

I know I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself since I'm not actually a "student" yet but I'm planning on starting a series of cooking related posts. I have never really cooked before, although I have tried my hand at a bit of baking, so I thought this would be a good way of sharing my experiences as I learn to cook for myself and to help out anyone who is in the same position.

On to the first, if slightly premature, in the Student Cooking series...

Last night I was feeling a little peckish and, since my mum is ill at the moment with what we think may be another lung infection, I decided to try a little recipe I found here. I know I can't take any credit for this, and as Khila says, neither can she, but I thought I would share it with you anyway.



I present to you...the Nutella Mug Cake!!

This is possibly the easiest thing you could ever make and here's how you do it. You may notice I used less of the ingredients than Khila give in her recipe and there was still sooo much of it!

You'll Need:
  • 2 tablespoons of self-raising flour
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable/olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 2 tablespoons of nutella
The Steps:

1. Find a decent sized mug, the one I used was pretty much a bowl with a handle, and put in your wet ingredients. Your egg, oil and milk should all be in and then mix them up a little.
2. Then add your dry ingredients. I added the flour first and then the sugar. I then added the cocoa powder (or mint hot chocolate powder which was all I had, it tasted so good) and two huge tablespoonfuls of nutella.
3. One you've mixed you're ingredients up so that they're quite smooth and like cake batter, stick it in the microwave. Khila's recipe says two minutes but I found mine needed a bit longer so you'll need to use your own judgement.

I topped mine with another big spoonful of nutella and some cocoa powder and I was done! It's super easy, quick and tastes really good!

There are so many variations to this recipe online so why not experiment with it and see what you can come up with.

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment